- Every15 seconds, a woman is beaten in the
United States by an intimate or former partner.
- Women who leave their batterers are at a 75% greater
risk of being killed by the batterer than those who stay.
- Nationally, 50% of all homeless women and
children are on the streets because of violence in the home.
- 63% of young men between the ages of 11
and 20 who are serving time for homicide have killed their mother's abusers.
- Children who grow up in violent homes have a 74%
likelihood of committing criminal assaults.
- 80% of juvenile and adult prisoners
experienced domestic violence as children.
- Studies by the Surgeon General's Office reveal that domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women between the ages of 15 and 44,
more common than automobile accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
- Every year, domestic violence results in almost 100,000
days of hospitalizations, almost 30,000 emergency department visits, and almost 40,000
visits to a physician.
- Federal officials estimate that domestic violence costs U.S. firms more
than 1.8 billion dollars a year due to lower productivity, staff turnover,
- Between 75% and 90% of all hostage taking
in the U.S. are related to domestic violence situations.
- Between 70% & 75% of children of abused mothers are victims of domestic abuse as well, making domestic violence the #1 risk factor for child abuse.